For a Good Cause
Aside from guaranteeing a good time to all participants, players can feel good about themselves knowing that 100% of the event’s proceeds will be donated to the Canadian CMV Foundation.
The Canadian CMV Foundation is a national charity committed to preventing congenital Cytomegalovirus infections and improving quality of life and care for infected infants and their families.
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a common virus that can infect anyone. Once infected, your body retains the virus for life. Most people do not know they have CMV, because it rarely causes problems in healthy people. However, if you are pregnant, CMV is cause for concern because the infection can be transmitted to your baby.
- CMV is the most common infection passed from mother to baby during pregnancy
- 1 in 200 Canadian infants are infected with CMV during pregnancy.
- 1 in 5 children with congenital CMV will have a permanent disability, such as hearing loss or developmental delay.
- Congenital CMV is the most common infectious and preventable cause of birth defects and hearing loss
- Young children infected with CMV usually have no symptoms and easily spread the infection to others through saliva and urine.
- If a pregnant woman is living with a young child infected with CMV, her chance of developing the infection is 1 in 4.